melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Marked (House of Night, Book 1)

Marked - Kristin Cast, P.C. Cast Well, originally I was planning to wait awhile to read this book, since I read all three Vampire Academy books recently and wanted to take a break from the species. However, when I realized I left my current read at the office, I wanted to see if I could fit in a book in one sitting this evening and Marked was the best choice from my large stack of unread books.I really wanted to like this book, but something about it just didn't work for me. I think it was the fact that it was so clearly written for (somewhat immature) teenagers, and to be honest, I don't think I ever really was one of those. Sure, I had my moments, but Zoey and her friends got on my nerves frequently and I think it was simply because I couldn't relate to them. Zoey's use of childish terms (poopie and boobie, for example) just didn't feel right to me, and I also found myself rolling my eyes frequently when she was talking. While I am long past my teenage years, even when I was a teen I was mature for my age so that made it more difficult for me to really enjoy this book. But I can see why many teenagers would love it.What did work for me was the vampire/vampyre (there we go again with different spellings for the same word! Remember my remarks about faerie/fairy/feary a few reviews back...) lore and and a rather original storyline. I always enjoy learning different aspects of paranormal and mythical folklore, and this book didn't disappoint. I do also think that the Casts did a good job with the characters in respect to what they were trying to achieve. Obviously I just wasn't the reader they were trying to reach since I seemed to miss out on the teen angst and drama during that phase of my life. I will say that as the book was reaching the end I did find myself more drawn into the excitement of the story, but I don't think it will be enough to make me go out and get the next book in the series.