melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass - Sarah J Maas Throne of Glass is an example of why I usually try not to get caught up in the hype about a book early on in its publication. I saw review after review that had nothing but positively glowing, raving things to say about this book. And I was certainly intrigued by the premise and thought it sounded reminiscent of Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder, a book that I absolutely loved. As the praise built as we approached the release date, I decided to jump in and buy the eBook, with plans to read it during my vacation. As luck would have it, the very next day I started seeing negative reviews and comments that definitely would have made me reconsider the hasty purchase. But that's life, and if anything it made me want to read the book more to form my own opinion. I most likely would have read this one at some point down the road, anyway, after the initial craze died down.In a nutshell, Throne of Glass didn't blow me away. I didn't exactly hate it, but I certainly didn't love-love-love it, either. I felt no real attachment to any of the characters, with the possible exception of Captain Westfall, but even he left something to be desired. Well, actually, I did rather like Princess Nehemia -- she probably would have proven to be a more interesting focal character than Celaena. I thought Prince Dorian was an idiot -- all fluff and very little substance. Nothing we see of Celaena would lead you to actually believe she was once the most talented and feared assassin in all the land, well, other than her unbelievable arrogance. How there is any kind of implied romance/love triangle with Caelena, Dorian, and Captain Westfall is beyond me. I mean, I know love doesn't always make sense, but how any sort of romance could bloom between any of these characters was not addressed well at all. I wish more of the characters had resonated with me, because for me to truly enjoy a story, I need to be able to enjoy and care about the people I am supposed to be rooting for.As for the story itself, the premise has potential, but the execution was only so-so, in my opinion. I just felt like Maas was telling me everything and not showing me anything. It was very difficult for me to get caught up in the story, but I kept reading, hoping to finally hit the "greatness" that was causing so many people to swoon over this book. In the end, so much of the focus was on unlikeable characters that any potential the actual plot had fell sadly flat for me. There were some intense and exciting moments here and there, but even now I am hard-pressed to remember most of them because in the end, the book was just rather unmemorable.I wanted to love Throne of Glass, but you'll have to count me among the minority this time. I didn't find any aspect of it remotely reminiscent of Poison Study, other than the synopsis of the story. I don't expect I will be in a hurry to pick up the second book if I even opt to read it at all.