melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

No Place for a Lady (Heart of the West Series, Book 1)

No Place for a Lady (Heart of the West Series, Book 1) - Maggie Brendan Well, from everything I've read out there, it seems I'm in the minority, because I was not very impressed with No Place for a Lady. And for that reason, this review will be relatively short and to the point. I really wanted to like this book, especially after reading several 5-star reviews on Amazon and BN.com, but in the end I was disappointed. The plot was flimsy; neither it nor the characters had much depth, in my opinion. I'm starting to think that I must not be a big fan of Christian Fiction. It feels like the storylines are very formulaic and clichéd. I have read several of Janette Oke's novels, and while I enjoyed them after awhile I felt like I was reading the same story over and over again. Oke's advantage is that she is able to give depth and realism to her characters and make the plot more meaningful. The story behind No Place for a Lady had potential--it was sweet, but cheesy at the same time--300+ pages of fluff in the end.