melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1)

The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan I decided to give this series a try after seeing reviews for the most recent book, The Last Olympian. I seem to have developed an attraction to series titles lately, but I have to say that I am really looking forward to continuing this one. The Lightning Thief was an engaging, enjoyable read--if I hadn't had such a busy first week on the new job, I think I would have read this in one day. Unfortunately it took me nearly an entire week to get through, but I enjoyed reading a few pages whenever I could spare a few minutes.I really have to give a lot of credit to Riordan's creativity in writing this book. He was able to put Greek gods, mythical creatures, and heroes into an entirely different setting and story, thereby making them new and interesting. The pacing is spot on--the action and adventure never really stop from the first page. Equally pleasing are the characters: Percy the troublemaker and his two sidekicks, Grover and Annabeth, seem to be no match for the daunting quest they inherit but in the end they manage to prove their worth. Riordan's characterizations of the mythical creatures and Gods was also entertaining--in fact, there were many touches of humor throughout the story. Add to that a tight plot with a few well-timed twists and turns and you have a book that I believe any fantasy-lover (or perhaps any reader, at all!) is sure to enjoy.Thanks to this incredibly clever first installment, I'm already planning to go ahead and get my hands on the remaining books in the series, so you can expect to read more about my thoughts on Percy Jackson's adventures in the future.