melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Pretties (Uglies Trilogy, Book 2)

Pretties - Scott Westerfeld While I devoured Uglies and was sucked in from early on, I had a much more difficult time getting into Pretties. My biggest problem with the book was the language that the Pretties used--it was really annoying, and unfortunately highly prevalent during most of the first half of the book. They have a habit of hyphenating words together to get a descriptive point across, like "pretty-making," "brain-missing," and "dizzy-making." Another irritation, adding a syllable to the end of their names--such as Shay-la and Tally-wa. It just sounds obnoxious.OK, now that I'm done ranting about that, I'll get to the rest of this review. :-) In the end, I did enjoy the book, as thankfully the story redeemed itself as the Pretties started clearing their heads a bit, fighting the lesions (first mentioned in Uglies) that were added to their brains during their operation to become pretty. In this book, Tally becomes good friends with fellow pretty Zane, and it seems David and The Smoke are a distant memory. Through the first half, they are doing everything possible to stay "bubbly," as they call it, but, near as I can tell, that essentially means that their heads are clearer and they aren't just thinking "pretty thoughts," and they're even recovering any memories they may have of The Smoke. Unsurprisingly, through it all Shay and Tally end up on the outs again, as Shay remembers what happened in The Smoke, and accuses Tally of further betrayal again in Pretties.Without giving away too much, eventually Tally, Zane and a group of their fellow "Crims" (Criminals, their clique) escape via hot air balloons, trying to reach the New Smoke. They are successful, but before making it to the Rusty Ruins, Tally has a side adventure that leads her to some descendants of the Rusties, and her reunion with David didn't turn out quite how she'd expected... There's another great twist and cliffhanger at the end of this one, so now I've got to get my hands on Specials, though I probably won't read it right away.