melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr I have to admit that before reading Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan a few weeks ago, I hadn't really read any books that were devoted to faery folklore. Actually, I'm not sure how devoted to the actual faery lore that book was, but I think Melissa Marr did an amazing job writing about faeries in Wicked Lovely. It's safe to say that I'm now a fan of faeries, whereas before I could take them or leave them. I decided to buy this book after I knew that Marr would be doing a book signing at a nearby Barnes & Noble at the end of the month. I wanted to see if it would be worth going to the signing to get the newest book in the series, so of course I had to at least read the first book. And, barring some unforeseen complication, on April 26th at 2:00pm you can bet I'll be in the crowd waiting to get my books signed!One of my favorite aspects about this book was the quotes that Marr took from classic books about faerie folklore and used to open each chapter. You can really tell that she did her research before writing this story. Since I began reading this with little knowledge of the faery lore, I feel like I also learned a bit by reading this book. And don't we all like to learn something new? :-)And best of all, I loved the characters. LOVED them. All of them. From the beginning I was swept into the story and the characters and I didn't want to put the book down. Aislinn and Seth just seemed so real and were very well-developed. Aislinn had natural moments of fear and doubt as her experiences with the faeries unfolded, yet she was also able to draw upon inner strength to face her fears and do what must be done; indeed, what was inevitable. I also enjoyed the romance between Aislinn and Seth--Marr portrayed their blossoming relationship so beautifully. I also liked Keenan, the Summer King, and Donia, the Winter Girl, from the very beginning. Marr simply did a wonderful job with ALL of the characters' personalities, interactions and behaviors, I can't say enough about that!There was one thing I didn't particularly like, and I'll try not to give too much away here, but this will be a bit of a spoiler, it can't be helped... I thought the final scenes with Beira, the Winter Queen, were rather anti-climactic. However, I was mollified (well, actually quite pleased) as I read how it was all resolved. The whole storyline and the world Marr wrote about really were incredible. I cannot wait to read Ink Exchange and Fragile Eternity.