melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

The Host: A Novel

The Host - Stephenie Meyer At the risk of shocking and offending, but hopefully not disgusting, Twilight fans, I'm just going to go out on a limb now and admit that I liked this book better than Meyer's Twilight saga. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Twilight books, but The Host grabbed me and didn't let me go until the end. Well, it grabbed me after I got past the first chapter. And of course, I had to let it go sometimes, otherwise I would have gotten fired from my job, but you get my drift.Yes, you read that right earlier, I initially stopped reading this book after the first chapter. Part of that was because I left the book at the office over the weekend right after I'd started it, but for some reason I just never got back to it. When I finally did, I was not disappointed. The interactions between all the characters in the story just felt so real, which I guess is part of why I prefer this book to the Twilight books. I honestly thought this was a great study of humanity, emotions, and human nature; simply, what it means to be a human. I thought that Meyer did a brilliant job with her characterization, as well. I felt like I knew every character personally and even visualize them. Meyer's writing is also beautiful, if a bit wordy, but I honestly didn't mind the hundreds of pages it took for me to read the inevitable conclusion.OK, OK, so I saw the ending coming--at least in terms of what happens with Wanderer a.k.a. Wanda (yeah, the nickname was cheesy)--how could this book end in any other way than it did?! And I did appreciate the amount of detail Meyer included to wrap the story up. At first, I wasn't sure I actually liked how events were playing out (when that chapter started) and I was initially devastated to think that I was wrapped up in a book destined to disappoint me after I had come to love it so much. But Meyer came through and convinced me that her way was the right way.