melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Perchance to Dream: Theatre Illuminata #2

Perchance to Dream - Lisa Mantchev Firstly, many thanks to Lisa Mantchev and her publicist for sending me an ARC of this book. How I managed to put off reading Perchance to Dream for so long is beyond me! But I knew I would want to review it right away after reading it, so I made myself wait closer to the release date, which is next Tuesday, May 25th. Preorder your copies now, if you haven't already!The verdict? I loved it! And I loved it every bit as much as I loved Eyes Like Stars, which is not always the case for me and sequels. We do read a darker tale in this book, but there are still plenty of crazy antics from my favorite fairies out of Midsummer Night's Dream to add levity and visions of sweets and treats galore! Seriously, if you don't want to eat a cupcake or pie after reading this book, I would be shocked. I adored the premise of the story--that what Bertie wrote about came to life, and usually in the most unexpected ways--it really made for an enjoyable read. You never know what will happen next! The plot doesn't really take a darker turn until a good way into the book, but it is not so dark that you become bogged down--we simply see another facet of Mantchev's ability to weave an incredible story.Much of the story from Eyes Like Stars is resolved in this book, though there is certainly an opening for more many possibilities in the future. However, I did like the fact that I'm not totally hanging off the cliff after reading Perchance to Dream. :-) Mantchev's writing is just as enjoyable to read in this book--the words dance off the pages and paint a vivid picture right before your eyes. The dialogues are fantastic--particularly when they are devoted to the fairies and their quirky notions. Hands down, Peaseblossom, Moth, Cobweb and Mustardseed are some of the best sidekicks, EVER! Remember the name Henry... One of my favorite humorous asides in this book involves Henry. There is nothing like a book that makes me laugh out loud and re-read funny passages. And yet, as I already mentioned, this book isn't all fun and games--you really do go through a variety of emotions.I firmly believe if you enjoyed Eyes Like Stars you will enjoy Perchance to Dream just as much. There's no "sophomore slump" with this book.