melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Incarceron

Incarceron - Catherine Fisher Clearly I have fallen so far from regular book-blogging, because I had never even heard of this book until my aunt handed it to me and wanted me to read it and let her know what I thought. I searched for reviews and saw so many out there I realized I must be missing a pretty big read. Of course, I was immediately intrigued by the cover and the synopsis inside the front cover, so I put my other books aside and decided to give this one a whirl while on vacation.I am definitely glad that I did so! A mix of fantasy, sci-fi, and dystopian fiction, Incarceron is an incredible story that is told from several angles. You have Claudia's story and point of view, along with those of Finn, but you also have the general history of the world itself, which is also unique and fascinating. While clearly a world in the future, those in charge decided that they wanted to take life back to what they considered simpler times: the 17th century. Everything about everyone's lives must conform to this Protocal--dress, everyday practices, entertainment, food, you name it... It ultimately makes for an interesting mix of sci-fi and high fantasy, while providing a study on the idea and need for conformity, as well.While I admit it took me a few chapters for the book to grab me, once it did I didn't want it to let go. the only reason I can't bring myself to give it a full five star rating is because the first third of the book is a bit slower and perhaps a bit more difficult to follow what exactly is going on. I was still intrigued by the premise, however, and the rest of the book certainly does not disappoint. While readers of fantasy and sci-fi will probably be the most likely to enjoy Incarceron, I think it could appeal to a broader audience. If you haven't given this book a try, I highly recommend it--I can't wait for the U.S. release of the sequel, Sapphique, in December!