melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 1)

Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris One of my friends who'd recommended the Twilight books also recommended this series. I ordered the 7-book boxed set from Amazon sometime after the holidays but have only just not gotten to reading it. Personally, I don't think it has quite the same gripping, page-turning quality that Twilight did. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting premise, and I enjoyed the idea that vampires were officially considered legal beings with actual rights and were therefore, in many cases, trying to "mainstream," or fit in with other humans. But I didn't feel very emotionally connected to the story--for me, the characters were not universally relatable.I know some complain of Harris' writing style, but it didn't really bother me that much--it felt like Sookie Stackhouse was really the one telling the story. Her perspective is amusing: while not the sharpest knife in the drawer, she does have occasional insights that take people by surprise. Between that and her "disability" she quickly becomes essential in being able to solve the mystery of the murders that have been perpetrated in her own town. Overall, the book was a nice, quick read, with some different takes on vampires and other supernatural beings and how they fit in with the rest of the world. The romance between Sookie and Bill has a tendency to be annoying at times, but who am I to talk, given that I've never dated a vampire?! I've also already read the second book, which I ultimately liked better than the first, but that's for another review.