melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 2)

Living Dead in Dallas - Charlaine Harris As I mentioned in my review of Dead Until Dark, I liked this book much better than the first. (I have to confess that if I hadn't taken a leap of faith and bought the boxed set, I might not have continued reading this series after the first book.) My hope is that the books will continue to get better as I get deeper into them. Basically, I found the plot line of this story more interesting (it was also tighter) than the first book, and it was nice to see that Sookie developed her telepathic powers to actually project some thoughts, rather than only focus on reading other people's minds. The story begins and ends in Sookie's hometown of Bon Temps, but the bulk of the story takes place in Dallas. I appreciated the fact that in the end, you got to see two mysteries solved, though there is much less focus (as I would expect) on the events in Bon Temps.For some specifics, I liked the appearance of the maenad, which added another supernatural element that I don't think is as commonly written about. I also liked hearing more about the shapeshifting population, even if that was in Dallas as opposed to Louisiana. While for some reason I do still find myself annoyed with Sookie and Bill's relationship (mostly Sookie's part in it), the more I think about it, the more it makes sense and I'm sure Harris wrote it that way for a reason. It would have to be pretty difficult for a human and vampire to have any normal kind of relationship. As with the first book, there's some adult language and quite a bit of sex, so it may not be for everyone, but overall I found it to be a pretty good, easy read.