melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls, Book 2)

Linger - Maggie Stiefvater Linger is one of those books that, while I am not 100% sure exactly what I was expecting, was not at all what I expected. Oh, as with Shiver, it is still primarily the story of Grace and Sam, but it takes twists and turns before it finally ends up in a place I certainly saw coming--but it was the route that Stiefvater takes us that makes this book stand out.As always, I am honest with my reviews, and I have to start by saying that it took me awhile to get into this story. I was sucked into Shiver from the start, but Linger took much longer to sink in and grab hold. Cole was a character that just didn't interest me initially. No, not until I realized that he was going to be pretty important to the story did I become intrigued by his problems and mysteries. In fact, I think Cole ends up being such an important piece of the puzzle that I wish Stiefvater had devoted more time to rounding out all facets of his development that culminate in what he really brings to the story towards the end of the book.With these books, I always pull for the couples, but I have to admit I found myself liking Sam less and less as the story went on. He just seemed rather weak and disappointing until he finally snaps out of it a bit towards the end. But let me tell you, with the hand that Stiefvater has shown us, I am even more anxious to read the continuation of this series to see how the story unfolds. What else will Cole bring to the table? Just where does Isabel fit in, other than the fact that her brother died trying to cure himself of becoming a wolf? Will Sam and Grace finally make it--and what of her relationship with her parents? It's funny, but as I grow older I can see more and more the side of the parents in these conflicts--though in this case Grace does make a pretty strong case for herself, as well. There is nothing to do now but wait for more!