melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, Book 5)

Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, Book 5) - Richelle Mead Well after what I found to be a somewhat disappointing book with Blood Promise, Richelle Mead has come through again with Spirit Bound. The story was less predictable this time around and, in fact, had some unexpected twists and turns. While perhaps not the best of the five books in this series so far, it was very close to recapturing the "on-the-edge-of-your-seat" quality that the first three in the series had for me.With this book and the two preceding it, I was under the initial impression that each was going to be the last in the series. Don't ask me where I got that idea, I suppose it was just an assumption. In fact, it wasn't until the major plot twist towards the end of the book that I realized Mead was not through with these books, yet. I was by no means sold on all aspects of the story--the Strigoi cure seemed like something Mead had to come up with to placate readers after Dmitri went the way of the undead at the end of the third book. Not only that, but the change in his relationship with Rose after Lissa saved him seemed a bit overdone and somehow not entirely believable to me. Rose still does not fail to entertain in this novel, and we see just how far she is willing to overstep bounds many times over. I also really enjoy her relationship with Adrian in Spirit Bound, and while I have been a huge fan of Dmitri, I have to admit I am kind of pulling for Adrian to win Rose's heart.If you have enjoyed this series, and even if the last book turned you off like it did me, I definitely recommend moving forward with this book. Spirit Bound will keep you anxiously turning pages, dying to know what is going to happen next. And now I just have to wait until December for the sixth book in the series, Last Sacrifice.