melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

My Stubborn Heart

My Stubborn Heart - Becky Wade So this is another ebook freebie I have had for awhile and hadn't really thought much about reading. Then I happened to use the cover for one of my daily photos on Instagram (the prompt was "heart") and received a comment from someone who LOVED the book. I thought, why not just go ahead and try it out? I'm usually more interested in historical fiction -- the overwhelming majority of Christian fiction that I read is historical -- and I have to be in the right mood for contemporary fiction (don't ask me what exactly that mood is, I just know I have to be in it).Oh my goodness, I cannot get over how much I loved this book. I'm not usually into emotionally wrenching stories -- probably because they frequently have sad endings and I'm sorry, but I hate reading sad books. I just can't do it. But this book has a happy ending (sorry, I suppose that was a spoiler) and even though I had tears in my eyes at many points, the story was just SO emotionally raw, intense and gripping, I could not put it down. I finally had to give up on finishing in one night because I just couldn't keep my eyes open (it was after 1:00am and I had nearly half the book left) but I picked it up and finished the remainder first thing the following morning.One of the aspects I liked was that the story felt so real -- between the characters, the storyline, and Becky Wade's crisp, no-nonsense, yet detailed writing style, this book just worked on all levels for me. And I have to admit I did enjoy reading Christian fiction that was set in the present day for a change. The story definitely had a different feel, probably in that it was more relatable due to the time period. And while I couldn't personally relate to some of the more tragic aspects of the story, there were many poignant moments that did resonate. Bottom line, I thought this was a fantastic debut for Wade and I can't wait to read more of her books!Read this book...~ If you like clean romances that fall in the Christian Fiction genre~ If you like contemporary fiction/romance~ Enjoy emotionally impactful stories (that have happy endings)*This is my seventh book towards the #TakeControl March 2013 TBR Challenge.**Originally posted at Melissa's Bookshelf.