melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Mister Monday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 1)

Mister Monday - Garth Nix Mister Monday is the first book I have read by Garth Nix and I decided to pick it up because I have heard many good things about this author from many other book bloggers out there. I must say it was an interesting story--quite bizarre, actually, though also very intriguing and ultimately difficult to put down.Poor Arthur certainly doesn't seem like much of a hero throughout most of the book--though he does desperately want to save his own world from the dreaded "sleepy plague." But for the most part he struggles--fighting against his own health issues and his fears of the new realm in which he finds himself. Along the way Arthur meets many strange characters, a few of whom will prove to be on his side and help him in his quest to find the mate for his minute-hand-key. The sequence of events and location are truly out-of-this-world and often left me shaking my head, but somehow in the end the story does make sense.Engaging and often sprinkled with wit and humor, Mister Monday is a fine start to what I imagine will prove to be a fascinating series. I'm only sorry I am so late in getting into it, but as they say, better late than never! I don't know if I would have picked this book up without having heard more about Garth Nix beforehand, so I am glad I decided to. It's quirky and a bit different, but the adventure and characters make the story worth reading.