melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

A Bride in the Bargain

A Bride in the Bargain - Deeanne Gist While A Bride in the Bargain is published by a Christian publishing house, I think it is safe to say that this novel is perhaps more of a historical romance. There are some mild Christian references, but nothing that is overly preachy--meaning this is my kind of Christian fiction. No one was trying to convert anyone or force someone to church every Sunday.I thought this story was a very enjoyable read, though at times Joe's and Anna's interactions were frustrating and perhaps not quite believable. Some of the blunders that both made along the way just didn't seem realistic, though I suppose that love (and desperate circumstances) can make you do and think crazy things. Why Joe chose to keep certain information and events from Anna just didn't seem to me to make a lot of sense, and I thought that Anna had a tendency to overreact, as well. In the end, though, everyone lives happily ever after, and isn't that really what is most important?I think that my favorite part about the book was not actually in the story, but it was the author's note at the end, where I learned that this story is based on real historical events. The information Gist provided made the story that much more intriguing, in my opinion, and gave me a deeper appreciation for this book. Fans of both Christian fiction and historical fiction should give Gist's books a try--I don't think you would be disappointed!