melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Murder on the Cliffs (Daphne du Maurier, Book 1)

Murder on the Cliffs - Joanna Challis I am embarrassed to admit that I've never read anything by Daphne Du Maurier, but reading Challis' mystery has made me strongly desire to remedy that. Many thanks to Lance and the folks involved with the Omnimystery Book Tour for Joanna Challis' breathtaking first book in her Daphne Du Maurier series. I'm excited to be a part of this tour!I could not put this book down. The writing was breezy and flowed beautifully and I couldn't help but get wrapped up in the mystery and the characters involved. Challis has painted vivid scenery, emotions, and characters in Murder on the Cliffs. The mystery, though not particularly suspenseful, is well-done, with the blame shifting to and from the various suspects until the very end, when the real murderer is finally revealed. I enjoyed Challis' portrayal of Du Maurier as an amateur sleuth and her interaction with all of the characters. I was equally impressed by Challis' full-bodied, well-developed characters. Love them or hate them, they all played a key role in this story, be it large or small.What really shines about this book is the element of historical fiction and the idea that this story led Du Maurier to writing her most famous work, Rebecca. Combined with Challis' talent for characterization and vivid descriptions, you have a book that will sweep you away into another world. If you enjoy mysteries, amateur sleuthing, and quality writing, I urge you to pick up a copy of Murder on the Cliffs. I truly don't think you'll be disappointed.