melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Comes a Horseman

Comes a Horseman - Robert Liparulo I really ought to have had this review up a month ago, but one thing led to another and somehow I just never managed to post it! I read Awaken in preparation for the indie author event I attended this past Sunday. I had actually not heard of the author or any of her books, but Ross was going to be signing books at the event and I wanted to be familiar with at least one of her books before going. While I felt like Awaken could benefit from a bit more editing, the story itself was fresh and original (and really, that is probably more important)! It's always exciting to come across a debut book that I enjoy and eat right up, knowing that I will have to get my hands on more books by the author.This book is both a fun read, but also emotional at times, with serious and sad moments. Ross taps into all of your emotions with this story. The characters are enjoyable -- particularly some of the more famous Patronuses (Patroni?) that we meet... Definitely some memorable scenes from some of Lucy's training exercises! Perhaps what bothered me the most about this book was the relationship with Max, implied in the synopsis. I won't go into it and spoil anything for those of you who haven't read this book, but the way everything progressed just didn't quite work for me. I liked the idea of it, but Lucy was far more accepting of some secretive behavior and the unknown than I would have been if I were in her shoes -- or, at the very least, she certainly didn't demand answers the way I would have! I think that's about all I can say without messing it up for everyone, sorry!And then we reached the end of the story rather quickly, with some resolution and then a lot of unanswered questions. Thank goodness I have Avenge on my shelf and can read it soon! Awaken really is a worthy debut effort in YA Paranormal. I very much enjoyed getting to meet and chat with Sarah Ross at the event on Sunday -- she was obviously brimming with ideas and I think it is safe to say that we will be reading her books for a long time to come!Read this book if you like...~ The Fallen series by Lauren Kate~ Young Adult Paranormal (with a bit of romance) in general*Originally posted at Melissa's Bookshelf.