melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

Rubies in the Orchard: How to Uncover the Hidden Gems in Your Business

Rubies in the Orchard: How to Uncover the Hidden Gems in Your Business - Lynda Resnick, Francis Wilkinson I was actually contacted by an employee of POM Wonderful regarding this book and jumped at the chance to read it. I do try to keep up with marketing books (and other business titles) when I can, looking for insight not just for myself and my blog, but also for my full-time job. But ideally, I am storing all this marketing information away for the day when I can work for myself and start my own venture, whatever that may be.Here are my thoughts...For a business marketing book, I appreciated the fact that Rubies in the Orchard was interesting and easy to read. Unfortunately there are many dull, sleep-inducing books on marketing out there and happily this is not one of them. Lynda Resnick relates her experiences and insights in the marketing world using her own real-life examples, but sometimes this had a tendency to read more like an autobiography than a book on marketing. Sprinkled throughout, and often highlighted, are tips and "gems" to hold onto when marketing your own brands. Some ideas are better than others. At the same time, I also felt like Resnick was trying to sell me her brands (heavily at times) while occasionally bashing the competition (though the negativity was subtle). Another aspect that I thought was odd was that the book seems to sell a definite agenda and lays the author's politics out for all to see--does that really belong in a book about marketing? Regardless of whether or not you happen to agree with Resnick's agenda and politics? I will say this--Lynda Resnick is quite probably a marketing genius, as you learn from reading about all of her experiences. I appreciated that she included some of her failures and what she learned from them, rather than focus solely on her many successes. She shares many good insights and ideas in this book, though nothing too earth-shattering. Unfortunately, Rubies in the Orchard also has a tendency to come across as a big advertisement for all of her brands. (I will admit I'm guilty for now wanting to try POM Wonderful juice, though!)