melsbookshelf

melsbookshelf

Anonymous

The Edwardian Lady: The Story of Edith Holden, Author of the Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady - Ina Taylor This book (and this author) came highly recommended by my favorite Christian Fiction author Julie Lessman. I had never read anything by MaryLu Tyndall, so I thought I would give it a shot, since the story sounded pretty interesting. Of course, as with all new-to-me Christian Fiction, I go in hoping that I am not going to be preached to in an overbearing manner, as is sometimes the case. I also worry about running into the common theme of not becoming "unequally yoked," which is usually a major, MAJOR turn-off for me in Christian romances. Thankfully, neither of those dreaded motifs occurs with Surrender The Heart. The majority of religious references have to do with regaining a lost faith in God. I suppose that is a common theme in most Christian Fiction works, as well, but it does not rub me the wrong way like the treatment of "unequally yoked" partners almost always does.Enough about that, let's talk about the story! Oh my, but Marianne and Noah end up finding themselves in quite an adventure! Admittedly, the storyline and the presumed effects the pair would have on history and the War of 1812 are unbelievably far-fetched, but this is a work of fiction, after all! With Marianne and Noah, sometimes it was frustrating to watch them wonder or simply assume what the other must thinking of them. Overall, however, I found the development of their relationship so much fun to watch as it unfolded and grew into something richer while they both also grew in strength of faith, both in each other and themselves. This book will keep you turning pages, wanting to know how Marianne and Noah can possibly get through the ordeal in which they found themselves.In sum, I think it is safe to say that this won't be my last book by Tyndall! Her writing style is descriptive without being flowery and over the top and she knows how to draw her characters and develop them in tune with the story. Not to mention, Tyndall provides a great supporting cast in the form of Noah's crew and the Captain and other high-ranking officers on the British naval ship where Noah and Marianne were forced to serve. If you enjoy Christian Historical Fiction, along with plenty of action and romance, I don't think you'll be disappointed with Surrender The Heart!